Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Strange Adventure at Kanin Club

Okay so i named my blog simple adventures. Sad to say it doesn't mean all my simple adventures are pleasant.

I was super looking forward to our dinner at Kanin Club (Rice club in Westgate, Alabang ) because everyone who had tried it would rave about their Crispy Dinuguan. You could say that it was an adventure , strange though... which is why i will just try to keep this short.

My adventure :
1. We waited more than an hour for our food to arrive

2. We ordered Crispy Dinuguan of course because I love Dinuguan. It was strangely crispy but because of the black color of the sauce, I could not tell what it was I was chewing. It did not seem familiar at all. Forget about the details, this dish bothered me for several days after.

3. My son choked on a giant (about 1 inch) piece of fish bone from the Tinapa fried rice! Too bad because it was quite delicious. I just couldn't enjoy every bite after that for fear of the bones. Since childhood, I have had a fear of fish bones ever since I witnessed someone who choked during a fish meal. I can't forget how everyone fussed over him and rushed him to the hospital. He looked like his eyes would pop out ! Can you imagine me watching my own son choke?

4. The ff dishes were good :

Fried Tilapia










Bistek (Beefsteak) Tagalog











Chorizo rice











Pinangat/ Laing (Vegetable with Coconut Milk)










5. The tabletops were super interesting. I seem to have a fascination with tabletops (see my article re Serye tabletops here). They were made of capiz shells in a frame as in the usual design used in Filipino homes for the window.

The kids enjoyed it and maybe we will go back. But never again for the Crispy Dinuguan. It made me develop a phobia for food with dark sauce! I would still one day like to try their Talangka (Crabfat) rice... I think I remember seeing this on the menu. Who knows it might make me change my mind about Kanin club.

No comments:

Post a Comment